Friday, October 25, 2013

SAFC v NUFC preview

So this weekend we will encounter the latest Tyne & Wear derby. I may be in the minority, however I am not a fan of these derby days. Now don't get me wrong I love nothing more than seeing us beat Sunderland but I do not get up for all of this intense rivalry and hatred. To be honest I am not bothered by Sunderland AFC or the Mackems at all other than the 2 times we face them each season. Give me the 6 points and move on.

I have some mates from Sunderland and they are all canny lads, I even went to the University of Sunderland and never had a problem. Mackems will be my rivals for 90 minutes on Sunday – but no more than the Scoucers were last week or the Mancs will be on Wednesday night.


Like most fans I remember the Derby days over the years, however my memories are not great. I was there for both of the 1-2 defeats and remember getting a soaking while the Sir John Hall stand was being expanded – funnily enough the rain never bothered us while we were winning, but when the second Sunderland goal went in the heavens opened. A year later we saw our talisman Shearer miss a penalty – not a great few years for the Black & Whites. Since then though Newcastle has a great record in the Tyne Wear winning the majority – that is all history however and all we can judge this game on is currently form. This added to the fact that Newcastle owe Sunderland one after the horror show at St James back in April Is the reason I think Newcastle will win a close game by the odd goal. My prediction would be a 1-2 win for Newcastle.


For me the key areas for Newcastle in this game will be:

-The fragile Sunderland confidence. If NUFC can get an early goal, how will Sunderland respond? how will the crowd react?  Pardew will send the team out to attack from the off and pile the pressure on the home side.

-The discipline of the midfield battle. Can Tiote and Cattermole keep their cool in the heat of battle? Playing with 10 men in an intense derby would certainly influence the outcome of the game.

- Our makeshift center half partnership. Young Dummett put in a great second half against Liverpool but this is a different kettle of Fish. Coloccini will be a big miss, hopefully Steven Taylor will hopefully be passed fit and we all know he will be chomping at the bit to play. Him and Mike Williamson will have to use all of their experience to negate the dangerous Steven Fletcher.

-The continuing of good form by Newcastle’s attacking players. Loic Remy, Yohan Cabaye, and HBA have been sensational at times this season and should they replicate this form on Sunday they should be too good for Sunderland.

-Our ability to deal with Sunderland's flair players. For me Adam Johnson and Emmanuele Giaccherini are quality players and must be taken care of. If we can keep them quite we should be able to stop the supply line to Fletcher and Altidore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment