Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Players Newcastle should sign

Over the next few weeks I am going to offer my opinion on the players I think we should look to sign this summer. We have been linked with many of these players in the press. I am going to try and be as realistic as possible. 

I will be starting at the back and work through the team. Today we start with a defender as I do not think we need to do anything with our keepers. Harper, Krul and Forster are all talented keepers and we a very lucky to have these options.

If Jose Enrique is to leave Newcastle in the summer then I think we should target Evertons left back Leighton Baines. We should expect to receive a sizable fee for Enrique and this will all need to be invested in Baines as Everton would want a decent fee for the England international. 

Baines is naturally left sided and will help us to keep our shape, and allow us to continue to use the left side of our team as a main attacking weapon. He is deadly from set pieces - both scoring freekicks and supplying crosses for the strikers.

Since joining the club from Wigan Baines has gone on to reach the next level and he is now one of the top left backs along with Enrique, and also a regular in the England squad.

I would rather see Jose say with the club, however if he is to leave then I would like Pardew to make the call to Goodison park and make an offer for Leighton Baines.


Baines: Enrique replacement?

No comments:

Post a Comment